Once you get past a few dozen records, you might want to look at dedicated storage for your vinyl collection.
While there are some great options available for storing smaller record collections, I’m going to focus on storage solutions for 200+ records, since you’ll need to be a little choosier about what you buy to hold a larger record collection – you don’t want a cheap bookshelf breaking under the weight of your vinyl!
What do I need to know when buying a vinyl record bookshelf?
There’s a few major factors you should keep in mind for storing records – the major requirements are going to be size and strength.
What are the dimensions of a vinyl record?
Not surprisingly, a 12″ record is 12″ in height and width – but you’ll want to make sure that your LPs have a little bit of breathing room. Any shelves you buy should have minimum interior dimensions of 12 1/2″ in height and depth to make sure you have room to store your records.
So any shelves you see that have a total dimension of 12″ or 24″ (for 2 tier shelves) are going to be too small for your records, since the interior dimensions will be under 12″.
How much does a vinyl record weigh?
A 12″ record generally weighs 20-150 grams, with some weighing up to 180 grams – so 100 180g records would weigh approximately 39 lbs. This is an important factor when shopping for a record storage since you need to make sure your bookshelf or storage system can handle the weight of the records you’re storing.
Weight limits become more and more important the taller your record storage solution is – make sure that when you’re looking at furniture that has 3+ shelves in height that you’re paying close attention to the weight limit for each individual shelf!
Vinyl Record Storage Ideas
Record storage solutions under $200
It wouldn’t be a roundup of record shelves without featuring IKEA’s Kallax bookshelves. These are a great entry-level option for folks with a growing record collection.
I personally have an 8-cube and 4-cube Kallax next to each other for long, low record storage with 600+ records and counting!
- Particleboard, Fiberboard, Acrylic paint, Honeycomb structure paper filling (100% recycled), Plastic edging, Plastic edging
- Interior dimensions 13″ h x 13″ w x 15 3/8″ d
- Each cube holds approximately 50-60 LPs
- 29 lb weight limit per shelf – but be cautious of the larger shelving units or shelving units of higher heights
Household Essentials Hickory Organizer
This organizer is great for a medium-sized record collection. We do not recommend the 6 cube model – only the 2 or 4 cube options – reviewers of the 6 cube model mention that it strains under the weight of LPs.
- Metal and warm woodgrain laminate
- Holds ~120+ LPs
Shelves for storing vinyl records from $200 – $1,000
Crosley Liam Large Mid-Century Record Storage Console Cabinet
Mid-century modern design with a walnut finish that pairs well with industrial, rustic and modern decor – the Crosley Liam record storage cabinet is a simple, classic design.
- Wood, particle board in walnut finish
- 60.00″ w x 15.75″ d x 22.25″ h
- Each section has a weight limit of 45lbs and can store approximately ~120 LPs
Simple Wood Goods Vinyl Record Storage Cubes
Made in Cincinnati, Ohio, these stackable cubes feature a unique door that easily slides from open to closed in an array of colors.
I love the ability to add a new storage cube as your vinyl collection grows over time – the flexibility really makes this product great for people with a growing record collection, someone who might move into different spaces over time, or anyone who likes to rearrange their room on the regular.
- 9 plys of baltic birch plywood
- Interior dimensions 13″ h x 13 1/2″ w x 12 7/8″ d
- Each cube holds approximately 70 LPs
- Recommend stacking up to 4 cubes high
Urban Outfitters Ema Low Credenza
Made from mango wood, this low record storage shelf features some nice touches like flared feet in addition to its minimal design.
- Mango wood
- Interior cubby dimensions 14.25″ h x 19.15″ w x 16.25″ d
- Holds ~240 LPs
Room & Board Woodwind Bookcase
The woodwind bookcase can be found in multiple finishes and multiple sizes (both width and height) along with options for open or closed back and with or without doors.
- Solid wood with wood veneer
- Capacity depends on size ordered
Seo Solid Wood Bookcase
- Weight limit 45 lbs per shelf
Vinyl record storage $1,000 and up
Condor Vinyl Storage Cabinet
Available in multiple sizes with oak, dark ash, walnut, and iroko hardwoods with metal legs in graphite grey or polished metal finishes like copper, brass, and bronze.
- Available in multiple hardwoods with metal legs
- Holds up to 250-400 LPs depending on size ordered
Tomfoolery Wood Sesto Vinyl Console
Handcrafted from responsibly-sourced hardwood and available in Walnut, White Oak, Maple, Cherry, Madrone, and Myrtle.
- Interior shelf height: 12.875″
- Single sleeve LP capacity: 1,220